Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Longmont's Parking Patrol

Longmont is looking for citizen volunteers for its Handicap Parking Patrol. The city says it is looking for "outgoing people who enjoy working with the public" to ensure the "legal usage of handicap spaces". Isn't the PC term "disabled"? Anyway, I'm intrigued the issue is not only big enough to warrant a dedicated group of people to patrol, but that training is provided and I wonder what degree of authority is somehow bestowed on the patrolers.

I've been told the requirements to receive one of the disabled parking space cards are quite broad; a person may have one without noticeable physical ailments. I hope part of the program involves public spotlights of those caught cheating and using the spaces inappropriately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are looking for "outgoing" people, which means they'll probably attact "annoying" and "rude" people. There's plenty of people here chomping at the bit to get in others business. I eagerly await the day one of these volunteers accuses someone they deem not disabled enough, regardless of the appropriate tag, getting clocked by a cane.

I'm all for reporting deadbeat dads and the like, by OFFICIALS. Not accused parkers by vigilantes.

My opinion / not trying or care to change yours, which I respect.