Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Friday, May 04, 2007

Doughnuts and Teen Punks - Front Page News?

Alright I'm stepping out to complain about the news story choices of one of the news sources I rely on for East BoCo information. While the following two stories don't involve East BoCo communities, I just have to comment. Plus, I'm sure my headline got you to read at least this far. That must be the same mentality the Camera (formerly the Daily Camera) used today and yesterday.

On the front page of the Local News section yesterday is the headline - not kidding - "Woman pelted with powdered doughnut." Today there's a big photo of an 18-year old being led away handcuffed from a lacrosse field with the headline "MHS senior attacks lacrosse player."

The doughnut story reads like something from The Onion, with a vagrant admitting to throwing the stale, "hardened confection" while he was drunk and "just trying to feed squirrels". The student arrested ran onto the field at the end of a lacrosse game to confront another guy he learned had been intimate with his girlfriend. Monarch's principal Barb Spelman regretted such "dishonor."

This sort of news selection for the town's main newspaper is laughable, and not in a good way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree the Camera has gone down hill lately. I used to read the Rocky Mountain News before they integrated with the Denver News Agency, and started publishing large, outrageous photos on every front page. I dropped that paper and when I moved up this way picked up the Camera because it was refreshingly different.

I still find more news that I want to read in the Camera, than in any other local paper. I just know what sections to go to first. The new "Get Out" format is great. And the front page has many smaller articles now, that direct you to full stories.

Unfortunately, not all reporters/editors can be trusted to provide responsible content. It is always up to the reader to decide what they want to read and what they don't. I think the Camera should have their own Onion-style section. That would put some of the stories that come out of Boulder in better perspective. Truth is stranger than fiction.