Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rational Thought Prevails - Another Champion of Context in the World of Wopburgers

I read another editorial column about the Wopburger's survival on the Blue Parrot's menu that "gets it", as far as I'm concerned. It's all about the context of the word, which more deeply means the intention behind its use. David Harsanyi of the Denver Post says:

"A wise person recently asked me: As a Jew, would you be offended if the work "kike" was part of a name for food? Kike-fish instead gefilte fish, for instance? Depends on the context, of course. If Moshe Greenstein served it to me at my favorite Jewish deli - with horseradish - probably not. If a guy with a swastika tattoo plated it up for me, probably.

And Blue Parrot is owned and operated by Italians. If they're not offended, why should I be offended for them?"

He continues with some background on the decison to keep it:

And for a while there, it looked as if the Wopburger would be yanked off the menu after 80-some-odd years as the kerfuffle erupted around the name. But then, an avalanche of support arrived - and a call from the family's patriarch, Joseph Colacci, made things right.

"Dad called me and said, 'Let it be. I want the Wop back on the menu,"' Riggins says. "It's not just him. People have been outraged by this. And it is terribly silly. ... This is our heritage and something we've lived with all our lives. I'm elated it stays."

Read the rest of hie article here.

No comments: