Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Friday, May 18, 2007

Shop Here! No, Here! No Here!

Longmont is pursuing a formalized Shop Local campaign just like Louisville. Everyone's snapping to the realities of sales-tax based budgeting and understanding how local businesses maybe aren't all bad, and commercial development actually pays the bills. OHHH, NOW we get it. Maybe approving that Lowe's or Ethan Allen or Safeway on Hwy 7 means we'll have MONEY to PAY for things... Ahhh, it's all so clear now....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Read the links again. They are different in concern and approach.

Anonymous said...

The Longmont Small Business Association supports home grown businesses. Whereas our illustrious chamber of commerce represents their own interests, dubious as they are.
I was a member of the chamber for several years and all my $350 got me was an annual listing of the other members in a print publication.
The majority of the chamber members are BIG businesses. I mean ones that are based somewhere else and have some presence here. The chamber has supported every big box that came to town. While I am not anti-growth and certainly not anti-business, I am not a prostitute either. The Longmont Chamber, along with the one in Boulder (I was a member there too) are pimps for big dollars. If the hooker (business) can’t give piles of cash to their interests, then they will have to assume that she’s too ugly to get johns and will opt for the good looking whore = WallMart, Target, Lowe’s; Dick’s; and others.

I have a small business that grew up in Longmont from scratch, 24 years ago. We have international and nationwide customers, but most of our income is from our store. I do my best to buy from other small businesses and I support the LSBA – not the chamber.
Our city council listens to the chamber, because they are rich pimps.

SomeGuy@PaulTiger.com

Anonymous said...

Just an observation. Thanks for letting us know there is a LSBA. In Louisville and Lafayette, there are similar groups.

So one wonders why do these groups form and what the role of the local chamber is. I regularly attend the Lafayette Old Town Association meetings to I hear what they say. I got a similar earful from the owner of the Blue Parrot who is active in the Louisville one.

Do you really think it has to do with money??? Just being facetious.

Unknown said...

The city council is a bunch of glue sniffing morons.

Anonymous said...

What makes you think glue sniffing is needed? ;o)