Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Friday, July 27, 2007

Where Have All The Good Times Gone....?

The Van Halen version of that song popped in my head as I read Councilor Bensman's question about the drop off in blog banter. There is still a good amount of conversation with me behind the scenes, however the verbal "mosh pit" (as one reader has described it) has taken its toll on several readers.

I like the metaphor and hope after people who stepped out catch their breath they'll feel energized to return. I like having solid, passionate voices interested in vetting themselves. At the very least, blogging is an exercise in strengthening your own thoughts. When you slow down (relatively speaking) and write out and then re-read your thoughts, you get a chance to second-guess yourself and also become more precise in what you're trying to say. Using the blog as a tool for personal skill building re: your own thought process is worthwhile.

Blogs are open slates in the wild wild west - frontier justice, anonymous vigilantes; a 24/7 free-for-all on ideas and opinions. Not everyone is comfortable riding into the frontier...thanks to those of you who've stayed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since we are about to enter election season, maybe that will reawaken the dormant bloggers.

Dan is right that putting one's thoughts in writing is somewhat risky. Especially if they are divorced of facts and reasoning.

The fireworks begin next week.

Doktorbombay said...

Agree, Dan. The beauty of participative democracy is it should resemble a "mosh pit". Otherwise, a few "enlightened" people are making decisions and the "unenlightened" are expected to just accept the decisions without question. Participative democracy is very frustrating for those who consider themselves "enlightened".

I enjoy the exercise of having to actually write down my thoughts, re-read them to check for spelling/grammar, and re-read again to see if I'm coherent. I also check to see if I'm spewing venom, if I'm getting personal, etc. Hard to make solid points if you make these mistakes.

This is even more important to me if I know the audience is playing on the same level. I miss the input of several of the posters who have been lately silent.

Done correctly, blogging is like thinking before speaking. There is huge value in this. My hope is the exercise transfers to my daily speaking, although this will be even more challenging.

Anonymous said...

I took a break from blogging after someone (it was not you Dan) dressed down fellow bloggers for rehashing historic political events and commenting on whether or not different elected officials were effective office holders.

The blog is East Boulder County Politics. By its very nature, not all threads, posts or posters are going to be future driven, solution oriented or positive.

The blogger I probably miss the most is Cyclorado. Are you out there Cy?

Anonymous said...

Still here Dream! Thanks for the shout. I've been in a job transition and haven't found the energy for blogging. Still listening, and when something of interest comes up, I'm ready to jump back in. In fact there are a few recent comments I'd like to chime in on.

I was pretty tired of the same things you mention. I'm no politician, just concerned about community affairs. When people get into the details of who voted for what, when and how often, my eyes glaze and all focus on the issue dissolves. From a scientific background, I believe probelms have solutions, and I get the feeling that those who control the implementation of the solutions around here are either indifferent or ineffective.

Anonymous said...

Cyclo-

I am a science/engineering background too. Government is in another dimension. The rules you and I have learned don't apply.

Try deductive reasoning and you'll get told it is not believable.

Look at the FasTrack mess right now.

Anonymous said...

Good point Kerry. But, it still supports my point. What I'm saying is that methedology is inherently broken. If something has a solution, then fix it!!! I work on Gov't jobs that use science as a basis for everything from community meetings to litigation and policy development. It doesn't get in the way unless someone is massaging the numbers. What I'm really tired of is you telling us that you have it all figured out, but don't do a damn thing about it. There is nothing worse than someone "in charge" telling you: "We know there is a problem here, but what can we do? Our hands are tied." BS... you were elected to figure it out and show leadership.

Anonymous said...

Cyclo,

Like I said, its politics. A city council has 7 members. It takes 4 to change something, especially if the city government doesn't want to change. Four years ago we had 4 council members who wanted to make a real difference. Not today.

You know as well as I do that there are initial conditions one has to deal with. I can't blow up Larkridge Mall. And it is 3 miles from Anthem CO and Vista Ridge on a good highway heading east. Lafayette is 3 miles west through gridlock on Hwy 7. I can't stop W*M from building out there either.

I can't buy Countryside and this council has tied up urban renewal money waiting for a loaded white knight to show up to develop it. I can't fix the sub prime mess either.

So you and I know if the initial conditions aren't understood and accepted by a majority of 4, the problems won't get fixed.

So what problem would you like addressed?

Anonymous said...

Some people just don't know how to take a hint, do they?