Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Phillips, Schatz, Bensman, Oster

That's how I intend to vote in Lafayette for City Council. If you haven't voted by yet, you're probably open to suggestion, so let me throw these names out:

Frank Phillips, Alex Schatz and Kerry Bensman have shown a deep commitment to analyzing complex issues, willingness to put up with the frustration that is podium-pounding/well-meaning/often not completely informed citizens (my words, not theirs) and ultimately that admirable mixture of civic duty with just the right amount of confidence(arrogance?) to believe they can make an impact on Lafayette's future I trust their voices and minds on Council as part of the overall group.

Notice I didn't exactly say the other candidates lack these attributes. Fans of the others, I simply don't see them as being as strong as these three.

In particular, Frank shares my interests in the challenges facing Lafayette's current growth (It's not all bad by my point of view) and is an effective and knowledgeable force within numerous niche issues; Alex's LOSAC and Planning Board background has demonstrated an encyclopedic grasp of our policy decisions' consequences and he has great skills at weighing impacts of decisions; and Kerry has been a staff and budget watchdog sharing insights with me for years - his sober skepticism has a place on a Council that is often too trusting (busy, disinterested, naive?)to recognize conflicting details, or lack of detail in staff reports. Caveat - I'm not supporting the boot Klaphake platform though.

Laura Oster will be a new voice on Council and I like what I know of her current involvement and understanding of issues. New faces have a steep learning curve but can also bring an unjaded view point to offset some of the knowledge of hard realities Frank, Alex and Kerry can't escape.

Anyone willing to put in the time Council roles require is someone I respect. My journalist/activist role has educated me enough to know the job is necessary but largely thankless. I hope to be able to thank these four for their work very soon.